Saturday, November 10, 2007

Salted Oatmeal Cookies

I was skeptical the first time I made this recipe, but I was still very curious about the concept -- a basic oatmeal cookie with sea salt ground on top, just like you would normally sprinkle sugar on top. I found the recipe in the Washington Post this summer and I tried it the same week I found it. It is, hands down, the best oatmeal cookie I have ever had. A great contrast of salty and sweet in a really basic, soft oatmeal cookie with an outstanding balance of flavors. The second time I made them I went a little heavy-handed on the salt with at least one batch which made a few of the cookies a little funny tasting, but with that one exception these cookies are consistently fantastic and have been welcomed with rave reviews.

They are also on JB's short list of favorites which include the cheddar-bacon scones and pecan sticky rolls. It's going to be good week for JB since I will be bringing the cookies in on Wednesday or Thursday and I'm planning to start the pecan sticky rolls tomorrow for work on Tuesday. Plus, he had cheddar-bacon scones last week. :)

Don't plan to make these cookies and be enjoying them immediately. They are very quick to mix, but need to be chilled for at least an hour before baking. I made the batter, put them in the fridge before dinner, popped two into the oven right after dinner for pictures and desert, and will bake the rest of them later this week.



Ingredients:

12 tablespoons (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temp
1 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 3/4 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
Sea Salt, for sprinkling

Directions:



In the large bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter for a few minutes on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the sugars, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, beating until the mixture is well blended. Reduce the speed to medium and add the eggs and vanilla extract, mixing until well incorporated. Reduce the speed to low and add the flour and oats, scraping the sides of the bowl as necessary and mixing until they are incorporated. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and chill the dough for at least an hour before baking.




Preheat the oven to 375. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. Form the dough into golf ball-size balls and place about 2 inches apart on the baking sheet. Sprinkle sea salt generously on top of each ball of dough, as you would sugar. Bake 1 sheet at a time for 15 minutes or until the cookies are puffed and beginning to turn golden, being careful not to overbake. (The cookies should have a tender interior.) Transfer the cookies, still on parchment paper, to a wire rack to cool completely.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review! I've seen newspaper articles about these cookies and have been kind of interested in making them since then. Glad to hear they are as good as they sound. I bookmarked this page.

biscuitpusher said...

They are a favorite around here. :) let me know if you make them and how you like them.

Anonymous said...

yep, definitely one of my faves--hello, my friend anna :)

--jb