Sunday, December 9, 2007

Gingered Carrot Cookies


I start working in a new office tomorrow which is a little intimidating -- especially considering that I don't actually know anyone over there. My new boss is really the only person I know, and he's in class all week -- I will basically be sitting at his desk waiting for people to come up to me and say "hey, you're not Dennis."

Luckily, I will have cookies with me to help break the ice a bit, but not just any cookies, a really strange sounding cookie from Dorie Greenspan, which should establish me right away as "different." It helps that these cookies taste good, lightly spiced with ginger with a nice chewy texture and orange bits of carrot sticking out. They also have raisins and coconut, which add an appealing sweetness, and pecans which give them a little crunch.

Easy to mix, quick to make, different from any other cookies I have made, and totally worth it. :) Although next time I make them -- I will probably add some chopped up crystallized ginger to give them an added spicy kick.

Ingredients:

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground ginger
pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter at room temp
2/3 cup sugar
1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded carrots (2-3, peeled and trimmed)
1 cup sweetened shredded coconut
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Preheat oven to 375. Line two baking sheets with parchment or silicone mats.

Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, ginger and nutmeg.

Working with a stand mixer; preferably fitted with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer in a large bowl, beat the butter on medium speed until creamy and smooth. Add the sugars and beat for 2 minutes or so, then add the egg and beat for another minute. Reduce the mixer speed to low and beat in the vanilla. Continuing on low speed, add the dry ingredients in 2 or 3 batches and beat only until they disappear into the mix. You'll have a very thick dough, and you might be tempted to over-beat it to incorporate the flour -- don't. Mix in the carrots, coconut, raisins and pecans.

Spoon the dough onto the baking sheets in heaping tablespoonfulls, leaving about an inch of space between them; these don't spread much.

Bake for 16 to 18 minutes. The cookies should be light brown and only just firm on top. Carefully transfer the cookies to racks to cool to room temp.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck in the new office! I'm sure they'll love you...though, I'd probably refrain from bringing the David & Goliath magnet in to work...at least for the first week or so. =P

Anonymous said...

i quite liked these. they would be welcome any time of year.

-jb