Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Cowboy Cookies


We came back to Maryland a day earlier than we expected because a snow storm was supposed to hit Michigan and we didn't want to try to drive out with 8 inches (or more) of snow on the ground. Luckily the drive back was smooth and we hit town around 7 last night. It wasn't much a New Year's celebration, but we're not really into going out on the town anyway, especially on nights when large crowds of people plan to get snockered. We did go to one of our favorite places to eat in Columbia -- Frisco Grille. The food is only okay, simple Tex-Mex that is at least consistent, but Chris and I don't go for the food -- we go for the beer. 18 microbrews on tap with a nice emphasis on hoppy beers. Definitely our kind of place. mmmm... beer...

Today we had a lot of running around to do and lots of fun chores around the house so baking was on the bottom of the priority list. I didn't think I was going to bake at all, but I decided to mix something up while Chris was making dinner -- Mapo Dofu made from scratch from his new Morimoto cook book --- yum! I instinctively went for my new Pastry Queen Christmas book and settled on Cowboy Cookies because they would be quick and easy and I love her original chocolate chip cookie recipe.

Compared to her regular chocolate chip cookie recipe, these were a bit disappointing. The only big difference is that these are a chocolate chip oatmeal cookie, but for some odd reason about half of the cookies turned out flat -- really, really flat. They still tasted great, but I don't like how flat cookies look, so it annoyed me a bit. Oh well, I'm sure everyone will still eat them. :)

I should also note that I put Chris in charge of photos and he seems to have much more of an eye for it than I do.

Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 cup granulated sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups old-fashioned oats
one 12-ounce package chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats, or grease generously with butter or cooking spray.

Using an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the butter and sugars on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 1 minute. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add the eggs and vanilla, and beat on medium speed for about 1 minute more.

In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and oats. Add the flour mixture all at once to the butter mixture and beat on low speed until incorporated. The dough will be stiff. Stir in the chocolate chips.

Using a 1 1/2 inch diameter ice cream scoop to make large cookies, drop the dough 2 inches apart on the prepared pans. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until golden brown. (When cool the cookies should be chewy in the middle.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi! These cookies look wonderful!
Thanks for linking my blog; I just visited yours and I think it is great. I just added you to my blogroll. Happy 2008!

mira said...

you're getting linked! :D i really liked the cookies, they were yum!
chris was quite proud of his photographer status and eye. :) i must say, i like the added touch of a cookie with a bite out of it.

biscuitpusher said...

and Chris quite liked "sacrificing" himself to take the bite. all for the quality of the picture I'm sure...

Anonymous said...

i liked these! flat doesn't bother me--it tells me there's butter in it :)

-jb

Anonymous said...

teehee...snockered...=P

a flat cookie is perfectly fine by me - as long as they're still soft and yummy. i had absolutely no trouble eating/unloading the rest...

good job on the photo, chris! =)