Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Blueberry Hill Oatmeal Cookies


This was a recipe that I was very curious about when I started flipping through the Goldman Passion for Baking book. I've never seen a recipe for cookies that called for fresh berries before and I was intrigued. They weren't nearly as pretty as I had imagined them to be, but I should have known the blueberry juice would have turned everything slightly blue-green. I also used regular oats which made my cookies chewier and with a more pronounced oatmeal flavor than quick oats would have produced.

Overall I liked them. Chewy and sweet in a plain oatmeal cookie sort of way, with a nice blueberry flavor and texture adding to their appeal. I can definitely see repeating them, and maybe even playing around with different berries just for giggles.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 large egg
2 tsps vanilla extract
1/4 tsp lemon oil, optional
2 cups rolled oats
1/2 cup toasted coconut
1/3 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup semi-frozen blueberries

Preheat oven to 350. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper or silicone mats.

In a mixer bowl blend butter and both sugars. Blend in eggs, vanilla, and lemon oil (if using) and stir until mixture is smooth. Fold in oats and coconut, then add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt to make a nice dough. By hand, gently fold in blueberries.

Spoon out big mounds of dough (about 2 tbsps full) on prepared baking sheets, spacing 3 inches apart.

Bake until done, about 14 minutes or until cookies begin to brown around edges.

Let cool on baking sheets 10 minutes before removing with a spatula. Let cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how come there's no blog for the cookies you brought in today? They were really good too!

biscuitpusher said...

Because it was my standard chocolate chip cookie recipe that was posted a while back: (http://biscuitpusher.blogspot.com/2007/11/finally-really-good-chocolate-chip.html)

I liked the texture and appearance better the first time around, but they still tasted good and that's the most important thing.

Anonymous said...

these are better than they looked. more than one person walked into my office today, looked at them and made a face at the greenish hue. dried blueberries (or cherries, or cranberries) would solve that, but i personally think the taste and texture of fresh (or frozen) berries outwieghs the color. i'd eat them again.
-jb