Monday, August 18, 2008

Coconut Banana Bread with Lime


There was half a can of coconut milk left after Chris made dinner the other night and I couldn't stand to let it go to waste so I plugged the phrase "coconut milk" and baking into the Food Blog Search to see what would come up. Sure enough, Baking Bites had a coconut banana bread recipe that would be perfect.

While I was making it though I happened to glance over in my fruit bowl and saw a lime sitting there looking plump and perfect and I decided at the last moment that zest of the lime and a little lime oil would be perfect for the bread as well. What I didn't remember is that I have made something very similar to this recipe already, a Coconut Banana Bread with Lime Glaze that I found on Culinary in the Country a while back.

Between the two recipes, the Culinary in the Country version was superior. The Baking Bites version was good, with a nice mellow mingling of flavors, but it was also a touch dry. In fact, I was already considering that if I made the version again I would use three instead of two bananas and maybe add some yogurt or double the butter to get the moisture content up a bit. If the urge for this kind of bread strikes again (or I have some coconut milk to use up) I think I will use both recipes to come up with something that will suit the flavor combination I'm looking for.



2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 cup sugar
2 large eggs
1 cup mashed banana (2 med-large)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup shredded coconut

Preheat oven 350F and lightly grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon

In a large bowl, whisk together sugar and eggs until well combined, then whisk in the mashed banana, coconut milk, butter and vanilla extract. Pour dry ingredients into wet ingredients and stir until just combined, making sure no streaks of flour remain. Stir in shredded coconut and pour batter out into prepared baking pan.

Bake for 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, or with only a few moist crumbs attached.

Turn loaf out onto a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.

3 comments:

Benbini said...

um-yum.

I actually commented at work about how nice the "lemon" tartness was, not realizing, erh, that you actually used lime. Oh well. It was really good in any case!

Alia parker said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Alia parker said...

Do you need steel dollies for your workplace? Nowadays everybody using this dolly just because they can easily carry heavy things and can save their time too. Ela Enterprises producing good quality products at a low price.