Thursday, November 13, 2008

Chewy Peanut Butter Cookies



When I was thinking about cookie flavors that I rarely make the other day, it occurred to me that I rarely mess with traditional peanut butter cookies. Sure I make several different versions of chocolate and peanut butter cookies (my favorite ones being these), but I almost never make old-fashioned peanut butter cookies.

So, in an attempt to even the score a bit I turned to my current cookie source -- the King Arthur Flour Cookie Companion -- and found a recipe for chewy peanut butter cookies. I've noticed that any time a KAF cookie recipe has chewy in the title, you will almost certainly find corn syrup or molasses in the recipe, and this one is no exception. Normally though the recipe only calls for a couple of tablespoons of corn syrup, but this cookie recipe wanted a whopping 1/4 cup of dark corn syrup -- chewy cookies indeed.

These were good cookies no doubt about it, but of course I wanted to throw chocolate chips in there. I managed to resist the urge and stick with the traditional, but I really, really wanted to.



Ingredients:
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter at room temp
1 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup dark corn syrup
3/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 tsps vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups all purpose flour

Preheat oven to 325. In a medium bowl, cream together the butter, sugars, corn syrup, baking soda, salt, and vanilla. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the peanut butter, beating until the mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in the flour.

Drop the dough by tablespoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 15 minutes, until they're a light golden brown around the edges. Don't overbake or they'll be crispy and not soft. Transfer to a rack to cool

1 comment:

burkie said...

i remember those that you linked, and they were terrific, but these were good, too. i like these, too. you just need fork prints :)