Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Joe Froggers




I realized the other day that despite the fact that spice cookies are among Chris' favorite kinds of cookies, I don't actually make them that often, probably because they don't do all that much for me. I actually made these cookies weeks ago as part of a care package that never got sent out. One thing I did discover though was that after sitting in a plastic bag for 2 weeks, these cookies were just as good as they day I made them -- soft and chewy and spicy.

These are incredibly soft cookies with a great molasses and ginger flavor and when I was looking for another recipe for spice cookies in my King Arthur Flour book I saw a variation of these recipe calling for dates and crystallized ginger. Knowing how much Chris liked the original recipe and how much he likes dates it was a no-brainer to give the new version a try.

The first cookies were soft and spicy, and the second set are just a little sweeter from the dates and a little spicier from the crystallized ginger. Either cookie is a winner and one version of these will likely make it into my Christmas cookie boxes -- well, if I manage to do Christmas cookies this year. The jury is still out on that one, but I suppose I better figure that one out in the next couple of weeks.



Joe Froggers:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cloves
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1/2 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup molasses
3 tbsp dark rum

For the extra spicy version add:
1/4 cup diced crystalized ginger
3/4 cup chopped dates

Preheat oven to 375. To make regular Joe Froggers mix the first 7 ingredients in a medium size bowl. To make the extra spicy ones, put the first 7 ingredients in a food processor along with the dates and ginger and pulse until everything is finely ground, then pour into a medium bowl.

In a medium saucepan melt the butter, brown sugar, molasses and rum together. Once it's melted pour it into the dry ingredients and stir until combined. Put the bowl in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or until chilled enough to scoop easily. Portion tablespoonful's of dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or silpats and bake 11-12 minutes.

2 comments:

Benbini said...

I forgot to ask which of you was responsible for the excellent sourdough-infused rye which I enjoyed sampling today - whoever baked it it was terrific! Thanks!

burkie said...

i like the froggers. the crystallized gingeris a great compliment to the strong molasses flavor. rye bread was great, too. i'm in a reuben mood :)