Monday, December 1, 2008

Chocolate Crinkles


I saw several versions of these cookies on Tastespotting several weeks back and instantly wanted to make them but of course never quite got around to it. Today I didn't really have much in mind to bake beyond cookies but when I saw this recipe in my KAF cookies book I knew it was the one.

I have to say, it wasn't as good as I was hoping for. As far as I was concerned there wasn't nearly enough chocolate flavor in these. They are soft and brownie-like, but like many cocoa brownie recipes, a little light on the chocolate flavor. On the other hand, they are cool looking and pretty quick to make, although next time I would use my smallest cookie scoop because they spread out quite a lot, and I think they would be much more dramatic looking if they hadn't spread so much.





Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 1/2 tsps baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
6 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup cocoa powder
3 large eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 cup powdered sugar for coating

Preheat oven to 350 and line two cookie sheets with parchment or silpats.

In a large bowl combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a medium sized bowl melt the butter, then add the cocoa powder and stir until a paste forms. Let that cool a bit, then add the eggs one at a time, whisking after each addition, and then the vanilla.

Scrape the egg/butter mixture into the flour mixture and stir to combine. It will look very dry and will seem like the flour will not mix in, but the flour will be absorbed eventually and does not need extra liquid.

Use a cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop portions of dough and roll the dough into powdered sugar before placing on the cookie sheets.

Bake for 12-14 minutes until the cookies are set on the edges, but still soft. Remove them from the oven and leave them on the cookie sheets for at least 5 minutes to give them time to set.

2 comments:

Benbini said...

those look awesome!

giz said...

Yup, no question, I have to make these. They do look pretty dramatic - couple these with shortbread and fruit cake and wow - a total party.