Saturday, January 17, 2009

Chocolate Cookies with Cherry Chips


One of my coworkers had some baking supplies that she wasn't planning to use, so she gave them to me, knowing that they would be used up, and quite likely the results of the baking would end up back at work anyway. I already had coconut, graham cracker crumbs, and peanut butter chips, but with how often I bake I can always use more of all of those things, but there was also a bag of cherry chips which instantly intrigued me.

As soon as I saw those cherry-flavored morsels, I knew that they would be perfect in a chocolate cookie. I was a little nervous about them when I tasted one by itself since there was a fairly strong artificial flavor them, but they worked perfectly in soft and chewy dark chocolate cookies.

The cookie recipe itself is the one on the back of the bag of Hershey's peanut butter chips. It's quite good, although the cookies do flatten out quite a lot and would have turned out a bit better if I had used my smallest cookie scoop instead of my medium-sized one. My only other caveat is to use the darkest, richest cocoa powder you can -- I used the Hershey's Special Dark for these, which is my default for most baked goods.


Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
3/4 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups (2 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, soft
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 tsps vanilla
1 2/3 cups chips --peanut butter or cherry both work well

Preheat oven to 350.

Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.

Cream the butter and the sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until soft and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in the vanilla. Stir in the flour mixture until the flour disappears. Then add the chips.

Portion the cookie dough onto cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or silpats -- smaller cookies are better because they will cook more evenly.

Bake for 8-10 minutes until set on the edges. Leave on the cookie sheets until they are totally cooled off because they are very soft and fragile while still warm.

1 comment:

burkie said...

i, of course, would've gone a completely different direction with them, but i'm sure most of your co=workers enjoyed those :)