Monday, February 9, 2009

Snickerdoodle Blondies


There are a few blogs that I visit almost every day and one of them is Culinary Concoctions by Peabody. I have made a few of her recipes before, but even if I don't want to make the recipes that she has posted that day I always enjoy looking at her pictures and reading her blog.

This recipe looked perfect for my work-schedule needs. Quick and easy like a good blondie should be, but with a twist -- coated in cinnamon sugar (bottom, sides and top) to turn it into a snickerdoodly concoction -- and as far as I can tell everyone loves snickerdoodles.

My only problem at all was that I didn't have mascarpone cheese so I used cream cheese instead. I don't think it really affected anything, but maybe I should make them again just to make sure. :) Mine were really soft and chewy (I think they probably could have gone a bit longer in the oven) but super sweet and awesome. About the only thing I might do differently is up the cinnamon to sugar ratio in my cinnamon sugar. I eye-balled it this time and I think a little more cinnamon oomph would have been nice -- although they were still quite good.


8 ounces (two sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup loosely packed light brown sugar
3 ounces Mascarpone cheese
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
pinch of salt
¾ tsp cream of tarter
¼ tsp freshly grated nutmeg
2 cups all-purpose flour

Cinnamon Sugar for coating (about 1/3 cup)

Preheat oven to 350F.
Butter a 9 by 13-inch pan. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar and move pan around to make sure that the bottom and sides are coated. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cream of tarter.
Using an stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugars. Beat for three minutes. Scrape down the bowl.
Add the Mascarpone cheese and beat until fully incorporated.
Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the bowl after each addition.
Add the vanilla and beat for another 30 seconds.
On low speed add the sifted flour mixture. Mix until fully incorporated.
Spread mixture evenly into prepared pan. This will be hard as it is a thick batter. I found it easiest to just wet my hands a little and press the batter into the pan. Then even it out afterwards with a spatula.
Sprinkle more cinnamon sugar on top of the batter.
Bake for 20-25 minutes.
Remove from oven and let cool on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.

2 comments:

burkie said...

you should definitely try it again with mascarpone so i can judge the difference for you, then cream cheese again just in case i can't remember this one (which was really, really, freakin' good), then maybe a neufchatel cheese one, then maybe one without any cheese product at all, then the mascarpone one again. you know, you want to make the best, and i want to help you. 'cause i'm like that.

biscuitpusher said...

sounds like a plan. Maybe with some cinnamon chips too? those suckers were gone in an hour at work...