Friday, May 1, 2009

Nutella Cookies

This recipe, yet another from my KAF Cookie Companion, is actually for any kind of nut butter. I made it the first time using peanut butter since that's all I had on hand and it was pretty good. Not as good as my favorite peanut butter chocolate chip cookie, but still pretty good. For the most part the cookies don't flatten out at all and you end up with round cookies with an almost fluffy texture, rather than the flatter, chewier cookies I prefer.

What intrigued me of course were all the other options for these cookies if you simply changed the butter you used. I instantly wanted to try both almond butter and hazelnut butter, but alas I didn't have enough almonds or hazelnuts to make my own. When I mentioned the idea to Chris he latched on to the idea of Nutella Cookies -- because after all, what is Nutella but hazelnut butter mixed with chocolate? On the next grocery store run I picked up nutella (and almond butter, but that's for later) and gave them a shot.

I am not a huge fan of hazelnuts, but these cookies could help change my mind. I overbaked the first set a bit -- because it's kind of hard to tell if they are done just by looking at them -- making them crunchy rather than chewy, but even that way they were good. I also added a full bag of chocolate chips instead of the one cup that the recipe called for which gave them a very prominent chocolate flavor -- just the way I like my chocolate chip cookies.

Ingredients:
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick)butter, softened
1 cup peanut butter, cashew butter, almond butter, hazelnut butter or nutella
1 1/4 cups light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups all purpose flour
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup chopped nuts of your choice

Preheat oven to 350 and line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.

In a large bowl cream together the shortening, butter, nut butter, and sugar, beating until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, baking powder, baking soda, and salt, then stir in the flour, chips, and nuts.

Drop the dough by the tablespoonful onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, until they're beginning to brown. Remove them from the oven and transfer to a rack to cool.

2 comments:

burkie said...

i love peanut butter like nobody's business, but can't develop a liking for nutella.

Jackie said...

Hi
Could you tell me approximately how many drops of coconut and pineapple extract did you use.