Thursday, May 13, 2010

Peanut Butter Fingers



Tomorrow is Friday and that seemed as good a reason as any to bake something. However, since it was already 5 pm when I had this idea, I wanted something quick and easy. I very nearly went with yet another bundt cake, just because I love them, but in the end I decided to vary things up a bit and started looking for another option. However, since I also wanted to use one of my new books I was still a bit limited in my options. In the end,after considering and rejecting several options, I ended up coming back once again to the book All Cakes Considered. In the back of the book she has a short section of recipes other than cakes, including a super simple option for peanut butter bars. At first I nearly dismissed them as yet another variation on peanut butter blondies, but then I noticed that the recipe also called for oatmeal which really intrigued me. Plus did I mention they were super simple and easy? Because they are. You can't get much more basic than this actually.

And, as an added bonus, the batter tasted like the innards of a butterfinger. Yum. I did change the recipe a touch though since I added 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips to the recipe. I just really like chocolate with my peanut butter. And since I'm the one doing the baking I figure it's my prerogative to add whatever I want. So I did.

In the end these are pretty darn good. Especially considering the simplicity of the recipe. Do they make me swoon? No. But they will satisfy your sweet tooth on short notice, especially if you are craving peanut butter. And of course chocolate improves most things. :)



Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter at room temp
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1/3 cup crunchy peanut butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup old fashioned oats
1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (optional -- not in the original recipe, but I always like chocolate with my peanut butter)

Grease a 9 inch square pan with baking spray. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

With a mixer, cream the butter and the two sugars until light and fluffy. Add the egg and beat well. Add the peanut butter, then the vanilla extract and beat until well combined.

In a small bowl mix the flour, baking soda, and salt. Pour the mix into the peanut butter mix and beat until the flour disappears. Mix in the oatmeal (and chocolate chips if you are using them).

Bake for 20 minutes or until they look set in the middle. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan before attempting to unmold them.

3 comments:

burkie said...

you had me at "innards of a butterfinger"

burkie said...

okay, since i didn't get any of these and they are so easy to make with ingredients that i always have, i went ahead and made some tonight. good! and very easy :)

Anonymous said...

i was looking for something quick to make using a limited number of ingredients i have laying around at the moment and this recipe fit the bill. i was sucked in by the scrumptulescent photos and the combination of peanut butter and oatmeal. the batter is delicious! can't wait for them to finish baking!