Sunday, September 21, 2008

Peanut Butter Half Moons


What ended up annoying me about these cookies had nothing to do with the recipe or the flavor or anything like that. Instead, I was a bit irritated because the King Arthur Cookie book made them sound like something new and different and exciting -- when in reality they are simply peanut butter chocolate chip cookies with chocolate frosting spread on top of them. Nothing wrong with that of course, it just wasn't the new different recipe I was expecting when I read the description of them in the book.

Now I suppose I could have read through all the ingredients and directions and such and I would have actually realized that before I even started them, but where's the fun in that? As far as peanut butter chocolate chip cookies go they are fine -- but the Magnolia version that I saw on Smitten Kitchen last year is better so I will stick with that when I want peanut butter chocolate chip cookies. As for the frosting, it wasn't anything special. I suppose it made other people think they were new and different and maybe something special, but as far as I was concerned they were just decently good cookies with some frosting smeared on them.




Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 large egg
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 cup unbleached all purpose flour
1 cup peanut butter chips or chocolate chips

Icing:
1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
2 tbsps unsalted butter
3 tbsps light corn syrup.

Preheat the oven to 375. Line baking sheets with parchment paper or silpats.

Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the salt and baking soda and blend well. Add the egg and mix in. Add the peanut butter and mix until it is incorporated. next add the flour and mix until it disappears, then add the chips.

Portion onto baking sheets and bake for 8 to 10 minutes.

To make the icing, melt the chocolate chips and the butter in the microwave and stir until incorporated. Add the corn syrup and stir well. Ice half of the cooled cookies with the frosting.

No comments: