Monday, September 22, 2008

Pumpkin Ginger Spice Muffins


Pumpkin, pumpkin, pumpkin! I needed something quick since I only had two hours before going to work so muffins seemed ideal. These are spicy with crystallized ginger, ground ginger and cinnamon, crunchy from the walnuts and have that muffin chewy/soft/moist thing going on.

I have had problems with muffins in the past - -they tend to dry out to easily and despite being uber quick and easy I am rarely satisfied with the results. These fit into the pretty good category since they aren't too dry and they have the muffin thing going on. They did not blow me away but I have a hunch I want my muffins to be more like cake, but then they would be cupcakes and not muffins and those are two different things.

*shrug* These are good. They are worth repeating. They are quick, easy, and best of all, they are pumpkin. :) yeah, so I have my priorities skewed, but we already knew that.


Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup pumpkin purée
1/3 cup melted butter
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 cup water
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 cup chopped toasted walnuts or pecans
2 Tbsp well chopped candied ginger

Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium sized bowl, sift together the flour, salt, sugar, and baking soda.

Mix the pumpkin, melted butter, eggs, 1/4 cup of water, and spices together, then combine with the dry ingredients, until just incorporated. Do not over-mix. Fold in the candied ginger and chopped nuts.

Spoon mixture into a prepared muffin tin. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Check for doneness with a toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin. If it comes out clean, it's done. Cool on a rack.

Makes 12 muffins.

2 comments:

Benbini said...

um-yum. i want one of these they'll go super great with breakfast and coffee. Mmmmmmmm...=D

Benbini said...

even if I'm not really the pumpkin king (thanks a lot mira for ruining my self-esteem) i still thought it was delish, and definitely good for breakfast.