Monday, September 22, 2008

Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies

I actually made these cookies a couple of weeks ago after pulling the recipe from the blog Everybody Likes Sandwhiches, but never got around to posting the blog about them which I attribute to the fact that I had a hard time making my mind up about them.

These cookies are not big and fat and poofy like most pumpkin cookies, instead they are flat and have the texture of a good chewy chocolate chip cookie. I prefer flat and chewy to fat and poofy in cookies, but with these it seemed a bit off. Maybe because I was expecting poofy cookies -- like the pumpkin whoopie pie cookies I made or the pumpkin cookies I made earlier in the summer.

I only had a cookie fresh and hot from the oven and like that the pumpkin flavor isn't all that prevelent, instead it mostly tastes like a chocolate chip cookie with a hint of cinnamon in the background. Interesting and good, but not the whole new experience I was looking for. It is possible though that the pumpkin flavor came out more the next day -- in the last year I have been baking and blogging like crazy I have noticed that flavors tend to change and meld after sitting overnight, and the flavor meld is almost always an improvement on the original -- but I didn't have a cookie the next day so I couldn't actually tell you if that happened with these.

Of course, it's also pretty much impossible to beat a hot chocolate chip cookie fresh from the oven so I wouldn't exactly call it a loss either...

Ingredients:
2 c flour
1 c quick or old-fashioned oats
1 t baking soda
1 t cinnamon
1/2 t salt
1 c (2 sticks) butter
1 c firmly packed brown sugar
1 c sugar
1 egg
1 t vanilla
1 c cooked and pureed pumpkin (I use canned)
1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips (I usually use more)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Combine dry ingredients (flour through salt). Set aside.
3. Cream butter. Gradually add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and mix well.
4. Alternate additions of dry ingredients and pumpkin, mixing well after each addition.
5. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto baking sheet, leaving room for cookies to spread. Bake at 350 degrees for 10-12 minutes or until tops of cookies are dry and spring back when touched lightly. Remove from baking sheet and cool on racks

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YUM! I love that yours don't look at all 'cakey' like most pumpkin cookies!!